Sunday, March 28, 2010

Sat 27th Mar - DJ Kentaro @ The Forum


"Kentaro is best known as a phenomenal turntablist and former DMC World Champion...
Kentaro enters your musical consciousness so that you can enter his." - Myspace

I couldn't leave the dance floor, I was continuously interested to see what he had coming up next, starting with some ambient, dark, world, breaks into reggae, trance, drum and bass, rock, dubstep back to reggae then a little hip hop mash up - but don't hold me to that order.
He was so enthusiastic with his sweet little face looking up at the crowd from concentration to anticipation, nodding to himself like he was thinking 'this next track is going to be good', then back into his crazy scratching zone, that i will never understand.
I personally was taken on his journey through 'step'- I can't really explain what I mean by the word step you'll just get me or you won't, it's kinda why there is a step in dubstep or the two-step - its just a step thing, and he kept in continuous through the whole set. The lighting was amazing, it had that dark moody vibe that took you back to why people feel in love with the DJ.

The forum isn't my favorite venue and I think its because I don't like the location but the capacity is just right Iv never felt to overwhelmed by the crowd. The audience was pretty good, apart from the few old drum and bass heads who have grown up, got themselves jobs and kids and their girlfriends let them out for the night but they've had one to many jimmy and cokes. I'm so cruel! I'm just holding a little resentment to the man dancing behind me who waked me him the head - twice, knocking out my earring. But then again... hit me in the head once - sham on you, hit me in the head twice - shame on me for standing near you. I got over it, but my ear hasn't.

Moving right along... Kentaro was supported by True VibeNation a young hip hop crew who are making themselves know round Sydney and DIZZ1 whose DJ set I regretfully missed initially. It must have been good too, DIZZ1 saying so himself "it was one of the best sets I've ever played" seeing as he has toured national and internationally, a producer in his own right and one of Sydney's top DJs it does suck I missed it.

Please check out this clip of DJ Kentaro on YouTube performing live in Japan so you get an idea of what some DJ's ie. Girl Talk are missing, once again...I'm so cruel! I love that Girl Talk is a biomedical engineer - a true nerd at heart - and good on him for working his way around a massive law suit but Ill let you be the guide...

DJ Kentaro - Enter the Newground Live encore


Girl Talk - Roskilde Festival 2008

Image from DJ Kentaro myspace

3 comments:

  1. WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW!

    he sounds to be an amazing DJ im going on to youtube right now to check him out!

    sounded to be a good night

    your pretty brave to say that about GIRL TALK hes one of the biggest producers and mash up DJs around, but i give you credit where credit is due, veryone is entitled to their opinion, and i do enjoy your opions on music, you have a good nack for knowing your stuff!

    great post probs my favourite so far!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey, I saw that on Youtube, he is indeed good. Liked your post and the picture too. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Nehal, kantaro is very impressive and I just could't help but take a stab at Girl Talk.

    ReplyDelete