Friday, March 5, 2010

Friday 5th MAR - Zeahorse @ World Bar and Captin Kickarse and the Awesomes @ Stucco's party

Zeahorse

It's Friday again but this time for me it's an Exhibition at Gallery Red on Glebe Point Rd, a 20's themed 21st in Surry Hills then a party at Stucco in Newtown and I was very impressed with how much I got for a five dollar Stucco entry fee. This included a belly dance performance by Kael, a Mick Stuart collective jam of crazy good musician, Yen and Captin Kickarse and the Awesomes. But apparently that wasn't enough music for the one night so I made the mission over to Kings Cross to see Zeahorse who have a 2am residence at World Bar on Friday nights during March.

My night was filled with all kinds of goodness, from seeing new friends and catching up with old friends. I ran around like a crazy lady but my craziness came mainly from public transport. Don't get me wrong I'm a public transport fan! I was lost when Sydney buses went on strike recently I stood on Enmore Rd thinking "really..?" consequently finding myself very late that day. But friday night was bad for bus transport and I even did my unthinkable... catch a taxi. Usually I choose walking several blocks or waiting for the bus over sitting at a red light and paying for it. But Sydney leaves you with no other choice when getting from Newtown to Kings Cross at 1am.

Captin Kickarse and The Awseomes are awesome to say the very least, a three piece instrumental band - including Hugh Munro on bass and Phill McCourt on guitar. The drummer Alex O'Tool stole the show for me as I haven't seen a drummer with his style for a long while. Granted i don't get to many rock or punk gigs these days so maybe his playing was simply mediocre but something tells me O'Tool is hardly average. As for their sound? It features heavily on the fast and technical. Their myspace states "The Captain is influenced purely by the dark caverns of the mind, the rich nothingness which envelopes and pulls into the void." In a nut shell Captin Kickarse are pretty good!

I left Stucco early so I could make it to see Zeahorse. A four piece young Sydney act, currently touring with their freshly released eight track EP. If Captin Kickarse are 'the dark caverns of the mind' then Zeahorse are more like cadbury purple and sherbert orange being fantasized by a hallucinating mind, sit that mind in a garage to simplify for a few days and bingo. Distorted, tight, loud, punk rock sound easy to follow but with detailed elements adding to a creative sound that is their own. I enjoyed them, not only are they all adorable but they know they have that 'something', their confidence is the kind - I feel - is essential for a live act, it gives the audience the reassurance that the gig is unique and personal.


Sample some Zeahorse tunes on their myspace

Zeahorse

Where can you see Captin Kickass and the Awesomes? Keep posted on their myspace

Captin Kickarse and the Awesomes

Belly Dancing with Kael anyone? Well It's actually ladies only, sorry boys..

Thursdays 7 - 8pm
Corner of Vincent and Sydnam Rd Marrickville
$10


Image from Zeahorse myspace.

4 comments:

  1. just listening to some zeahorse now, very interesting, like their groove. different sound to anything i've heard. might check em out at some stage :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you had a crazy night. I good post with some great new music to check out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. world bar always has some good bands a djs on their, sounds like a hectis night you had their that potentially lookied to casue you problems but seems like it all truned out for ya!

    look forward to who you see next

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for your feed back, Ill be sure to let you all know of there other up coming gigs

    ReplyDelete