Wednesday, May 12, 2010

7th - 8th - Jess Harlen & Groovin' The Moo Festival


Jess Harlen, a young lady from Melbourne, a back up vocalist for Blue King Brown and a recently signed artist to the new independent soul label Plethora Records. February saw the release of her solo album Neon Heartache, sending her to Sydney on Thursday night and up yo the Blue Mountains on Friday night, to promote her album.
I haven't heard a female vocalist perform at The Gearins in Katoomba for a long time. Unfortunately, the turn out was unfortunate but that's to be expected. Those that were there, loved it. I'm eager to see what Plethora Records will offer, if Harlen is anything to go by, then Plethora is going to be a mighty force.
Neon Heartache includes production by Plutonic Lab. His sound has an organic sound that is unique for an instrumental production, a sounds that comes to him naturally. The track 'I Go' is a perfect example of his ability to strip back and deliver strong, heart felt production that can support a female vocalist beautifully.
I then saw Muph and Plutonic on Saturday at Groovin' The Moo Festival in Maitland. Where they played to a young crowd, full of girls in short, shorts and guys with no shirts, singing along word for word to Muph's lyrics. I wasn't there for long but I did catch Lisa Mitchell and Illy too. I know what your thinking, a bit of a poor effort, especially when the festival had 21 acts including Silverchair. But you will just have to trust me when I say, I heard as many as I could. Groovin' the Moo festival had a fun vibe, I found the staff to be really helpful and the variety of artists, ideal for the size and age range of the crowd.
All in all, an awesome weekend.

Images from Myspace.

www.myspace.com/jessharlen
www.myspace.com/plutoniclab

1 comment:

  1. Plutonic is a busy man. Good to see he's producing some soul as well!

    ReplyDelete